"I've just been feeling more and more that I needed to do something and it was kind of a spur of the moment idea to offer two thousand dollars to a high school senior," said Belcher.
The journey of getting to the point of giving back took some time. After high school Belcher realized college and trade school wasn't the path he wanted to take.
"I got my surface card and got a job in the coal mines," said Belcher. Even while working in the coal mines something else was fueling his creative urge.
"I've always had a creative brain whether it was being in a heavy metal band something artistic like drawing I've always done something."
He left the mines after nine years and opened his own film production company in 2012. JJN Multimedia started in his home and even then he used his filmmaking talent to pour back into the community.
In 2017 he created a highlight reel for Mount View football star Joseph Hayes.
"I made me feel honored," he told WVVA's Joshua Bolden in 2017, "not a lot of people would be willing especially for free."
Fast forward three years later his passion has led to a healthy clientele, a production office based in Pineville and the ability reach back.
"I get emotional thinking about it. When see a kid that can take an extra step to believe in themselves that's really what it's all about," said Belcher.
Here are the guidelines to enter the Dream Booster Award competition.
- Must be a high school Senior in McDowell, Wyoming, Mercer, Raleigh, Mingo, Logan, or Monroe counties.
- Submit a 60 second or less video with the theme of “My Dream Is...” by March 1st.
- The top 10 will be selected by a panel.
- The finalists will be posted on our Facebook page on March 9th.
- The video with the most reactions, shares, and reach combined from the community wins.
- Submit your video and school you attend to our PM or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MUST BE ORIGINAL WORK - No copy-written music or material allowed.
- The $2,000 will be distributed by the following:
- $1,000 Check
- $1,000 for reimbursable expenses (books, equipment, fees etc..)
- Must involve college, trade, or business startup ideas