WISE, Va. (WVVA) - The LENOWISCO Health District will schedule community testing sites for COVID-19 at locations across Lee, Scott and Wise counties during the month of May.
Those who are uninsured or underinsured, as well as those with symptoms of illness are encouraged to call for an appointment.
Testing resources are limited, and only those pre-screened and approved for testing will be admitted, and only by appointment. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19 and qualify for testing: cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
In order to be approved for testing, you must call in advance for a screening interview. Those that are approved for testing will receive an appointment time, a testing number and/or an emailed authorization letter. If you do not have access to email, you must bring a valid ID to the testing site. To avoid lengthy wait times, please come to the site at your appointed time and bring your documentation with you.
“Testing is important epidemiologically and helps us determine the prevalence of disease in our community,” said Sue Cantrell, M.D., director of the Cumberland Plateau and LENOWISCO Health Districts, “but because capacity is limited we will screen for those at highest risk. As we continue to test, we expect to have more positive cases.”
“In the vast majority of cases, testing does not inform our recommendations for your medical care,” Dr. Cantrell continued. “The best protection for each of us comes from taking personal precautions, including staying at home, practicing good hygiene and social distancing. That’s how YOU stay well, and how you protect those around you today, your family and friends, and our communities.”
To lower the risk of spreading respiratory infections, including COVID-19, the Virginia Department of Health encourages everyone to:
- Stay home, except for essential travel;
- If you must go out in public, wear a cloth face covering;
- Stay home if you are sick;
- Avoid contact with sick people;
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing;
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth; cover your mouth and nose with a mask or covering when in public.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
- If you are experiencing symptoms, call your doctor;
- Practice social distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when out in public; and
- Avoid close contact with crowds of any size, and avoid any crowd of more than 10 people.
Testing is being conducted in the parking lot of each site on designated dates. See the schedule below.
· Fri., May 15 - Litchfield Manor and John Vandiver Manor, Coeburn, 9 to 11a.m.
· Fri., May 15 - Sheffield Acres Apartments, Coeburn, noon to 2 p.m.
· Tue., May 19 - Stonebriar Apartments, St. Paul, 9 to 11 a.m.
· Tue, May 19 - Clinchview Apartments, St. Paul, noon to 2 p.m.
· Wed., May 20 - Appalachian Towers, Appalachia, 9 to 11 a.m.
· Wed., May 20 - Inman Village Apartments, Appalachia, noon to 2 p.m.
· Wed., May 27- Central High School, Norton, 9 to 11 a.m.
· Wed., May 27 - Hawthorne Acres Apartments, Norton, noon to 2 p.m.
· Fri., May 29 - Regency Towers, Norton, 9 to 11 a.m.
· Fri., May 29 - Ramsey Apartments, Norton, noon to 2 p.m.
To schedule an appointment for any of these sites, call the Wise County/City of Norton Health Department - 276-328-8000.
· Tue., May 19 - Thomas Walker High School, Ewing, 9 to 11 a.m.
To schedule an appointment for this site, call the Lee County Health Department - 276-346-2011.
· Thu., May 21 - Clinch River Health Services, Dungannon, 9 to 11 a.m.
To schedule an appointment for this site, call the Scott County Health Department - 276-386-1312.
Stay with WVVA for updates
And watch all of our newscasts live on our App and website here: https://wvva.com/watch-wvva-live/